India’s love affair with spices is famous all over the world but very few people are aware that spices come up with lots of benefits, from boosting immunity to protecting from bacteria and viruses. The concept of using spices is to make the food taste better and flavorful. However, they are known to have medicinal properties owing to the presence of active therapeutic ingredients in their essential oil and oleoresin. There are a few traditional food that are proven to strengthen the immune response in our bodies and spice is the most important amongst them.
In India, the spices are used in Ayurvedic treatment as natural medicines. Over the years, many researchers have established the role of different spices in combating diseases such as diabetes, arthritis, cancer, rheumatism, metabolic and immunological disorders. Researchers have found that spices possess immunomodulatory properties which generally act by stimulating or suppressing both specific and non-specific immunity. One of the most immunity boosting properties of spice is their antimicrobial property.
The top 5 spices that strengthens the immune system in a passive way as they possess anti-inflammatory, analgesic, antioxidant, antipollutant and antimutagenic properties.
- Turmeric – Turmeric is best known for its healing power. It goes in almost every curry and savory dish that is cooked in every Indian kitchen. Turmeric is also consumed with Milk, Tea or water to help fight cold or flu. Turmeric contains properties that improves the immune system naturally.
- Cinnamon– Cinnamon is high in substance with powerful medicinal properties which has powerful effects on health & metabolism. Drinking cinnamon tea or cinnamon infused water in an Indian household is the most common thing. The aromatic spice is a rich source of antioxidants which helps in boosting the immunity.
- Ginger – Ginger is a miraculous ingredient that was the perfect fix for most seasonal aliments like cold, cough and flu. It acted as a great remedy in digestion and improving metabolism. Due to the presence of Gingerol, an active component that makes ginger a perfect immunity booster. Additionally, it combats infections due to the rich properties present in it.
- Black pepper – Black pepper is both an antioxidant and an antibacterial agent contributing to the overall wellness tremendously. It has Vitamin C which helps in boosting the immune system. Moreover, its active compounds have a role in boosting white blood cells which body uses to fight off bacteria and viruses.
- Clove – Clove, also known as the winter spice is another powerful spice that has the ability to boost the immunity. It is used in Ayurvedic remedies for cough and cold and also works as a shield to protect a body against infections. Apart from having several benefits, clove is also used as a core ingredient in an Indian household. It can be included in making tea or flavored hot water.
However, what sets Cookme apart from others is that ever since Covid-19 has been all over the place, our research team had started working for a special product named as Immuno Booster.With different spices possessing different benefits, Immuno Booster is a mix of all quality spices and herbs to uplift the health of consumers.
Cookme, is a 5 generation legacy brand and is labelled as the ‘Magical Secret Ingredient’. It is a popular household name and is widely known in West Bengal. The motto has been to revolutionize cooking by making it easy for experts and beginners alike. From the packaging of common spices to inventing the Cookme Curry Paste to putting together the path-breaking Ready to Cook range, the endeavor has been to better the culinary experience. India is one of the largest producer, consumer and exporter of spices in the world and are known for their aroma, taste and texture.
——Dr. Dipan Chatterjee, Food Technologist and Quality Control Manager,Krishna Chandra Dutta (Spice) Pvt. Ltd, COOKME.