BRIDGE AND ROOF CO (I) LTD. or B&R in short, started functioning from the HOWRAH WORKSHOP on 16th January, 1920 as a modest structural fabricating agency doing work for Tea Gardens, Collieries and Railways. The first large order was for a bridge from the erstwhile East Bengal Railways. Other orders followed from Jute Mills, PWD and from Railways.
B&R matched its pace with time and metamorphosed from a small fabricator to a full blown constructor by 1925 when it began construction of Railway Station at Lucknow. By the mid thirties B&R had ventured into other areas like Blast Furnace and Gas Cleaning Plant for TISCO.
The thrust towards diversification from its first year has been the hallmark of B&R’s dynamism. After consolidating itself as a leader in structural fabrication, B&R entered in the execution of project Civil Works. The Civil Engineering Division has gone from strength to strength and today is an acknowledged market leader in almost all types of Civil Engineering activities.
In 1954, B&R began with its first order for 500 Railway Wagons and over the next two decades continued to roll out 750 Railway Wagons each year from its Howrah Workshop. However, from the seventies B&R switched this line to Marine Freight Container product for export marketing and subsequently in collaboration with TELCO for Domestic Container.
B&R continued to construct major Steel and Concrete Bridges for Roads and Railways in India and Nepal. This major division of the Company has erected, strengthened and regirdered railway bridges all over India.
From late seventies B&R’s major thrust was also initiated towards exports which included setting up Cement Plant at Nepal and Syria, Grain Silos at Iraq and other works at Kuwait, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Maldives etc. New areas in Atomic Energy Projects, Sports Stadia, Cross Country Pipelines, Floating Roof Crude Oil Storage Tanks and Environmental Projects were also added to the already long list of Projects. Further, growth followed in the field of Piling, Highway Construction, Cooling Towers, manufacture of Container Mounted Truck & Bailey Bridge. B&R has always been on the priority list out of all construction firms by all major leading Private Sector Companies in India including TISCO, ACC, Birlas, Reliance, Adani, BSSL, JSPL, ABB to name a few. Multinational Turnkey Projects Companies are tying up with B&R because of its track record and reputation.
The inherent strength of B&R has been a team of dedicated and committed Engineers, Staff and Workers whose identification with the Organisation is the key factor which has enabled B&R to grow steadily and carve a major place in the industrial development of India. This spirit of oneness in B&R’s 1100 employees towards achieving quality work and on time delivery has built the landmarks of modern industrial India and some of the handsome facilities in our country – the Salt Lake Stadium, the old Airport Terminal building, Birla Building, the Science City Complex all at Calcutta; the Rajiv Gandhi Science Centre, Indian National Science Academy Building and LIC Building all at Delhi; Atomic Research Plant at Kalpakkam, Power Project at Neyveli at Tamil Nadu; the Crude Storage facility at Uran, Maharashtra, Railway Station at Lucknow, Mangalore Refinery & Petrochemicals Complex at Karnataka, the Panipat Oil Refinery at Haryana and a long list that goes back in 100 years of excellence. The NUJS complex at Kolkata was another landmark on the heart of the city.
After crossing the millennium, B&R had a steady growth and over a phase of last 20 years, high value orders streamed in. Amongst many, the distinguished Contracts are Power Station at Raichur, Mejia, Simhadri and Bakreswar, Expansion of Non-Ferrous industries at Angul, Damanjodi and Korba, installations in hydrocarbon industries at Haldia, Guna, Mangalore, Vijayawada, Chennai, Gandhar, Vadodara, Mahul, Secunderabad, Suriapet, Hazira, Bhuj, Panipat etc. But the significant leap came through infrastructure segment as construction services were provided for DMRC Project at Khyber Pass Depot, New Delhi, Metro Rail & Circular Rail Expansion Project at Kolkata, Development of New Town at Rajarhat including providing 10 lane link road, State Highway-through Dholka-Pipri in the State of Gujarat – to name a few. B&R also diversified by extending construction services to hydro-power generation at Purulia and cross country pipelines at Tatipaka and Ramchandrapuram. B&R continues its contribution in the Power Sector by extending construction services to Power stations at Mejia, Bakreswar, Raigarh, Meramandali, Birsinghpur, Panipat and Bathinda. The surge of construction activities in steel sector saw B&R as a major entrant with its projects at Meramandali and Jamshedpur. Company’s was sensitized with its journey towards winning high value contract started in 2008-2009 with Civil & Structural works at Andal TPS at an awarded value of Rs. 413 Crore and composite work for Guru Gobind Singh Bhatinda Refinery at Rs. 228 Crore. During the year 2007, Company also stepped into Deposit work as it was entrusted with capital works at IIT Kharagpur.
Between 2014 to 2016, Company was entrusted with Deposit Works for 95 Nos. Bailey type unit bridges on Turnkey basis and the Howrah Works in coordination with Civil wing of the Company successfully delivered the same. During the last ten years, Company continued its accent by securing high value contracts which ultimately culminated into winning a Rs. 738 Crore single composite contract at HPCL-Mittal Bathinda Refinery and with the securing of high value Deposit Works in the Northern Sector which includes Station Development, Government Hospitals and Medical Colleges. The Company also executed several works for refinery expansion including time-bound BS-VI projects for Oil PSUs. The Company not only secured but also delivered high value contracts for construction of 99 Nos. Multipurpose Cyclone Shelters along the costal belt of West Bengal, which has already provided en masse protection during natural calamities in the recent past.
- Bridge and Roof has been a consistently profit earning Company inspite of ups and downs in economy.
- In fact the annual growth rate of the Company during the past five years and the trend available in terms of turnover in the current fiscal is unprecedented.
- During last five years, the turnover of the Company has enhanced from Rs. 1434 Crores to Rs. 3082 Crores. The Profit Before Tax in the corresponding period has also enhanced from Rs. 12 Crores to Rs. 51 Crores.
MAJOR JOBS IN HAND
- The Company secured several high value orders during the previous year and the value of Orders in Hand is Rs. 7462 Crores.
- Company has been entrusted with major construction job from HPCL-Mittal Energy Ltd. at Bathinda for their Petrochemical Project. The ongoing job value which is in progress is around Rs. 1500 Crores and almost 50% work is completed.
- Bridge and Roof is executing BS-VI projects at various Oil Refineries at IOCL Haldia, Paradip, Guwahati, Vadodara; at MRPL Mangalore; at HMEL Bathinda; and at CPCL Chennai.
- It is undertaking prestigious projects of Power Plants for National Thermal Power Corporation at Gadarwara, Rourkela, Karanpura and Manuguru.
- Company has received several jobs at HPCL Vizag which is amounting to Rs. 750 Crores.
- The Company is executing various projects for Indian Railways including doubling of tracks and ancillary work at Howrah and Malda Division in West Bengal and in Jharkhand. It is also carrying out Station Development Work of Santragachi Station for South Eastern Railway is under execution. Station Development work at other places such as Asansol and Kolkata are about to start. Open Web through Girders of various spans are being manufactured at Company’s Howrah Workshop for Railways.
- At the Workshop, the Company also manufactures Unit Type Bailey Bridges and Suspension Bailey Bridges which it supplies to various Border Roads and various State PWDs. Portable Bunk Houses and other Structural Fabrication is also carried out in the premises.
- The Company is executing work at for Adani Group at various ports such as Dhamra, Vizinjham, Mundra and Hazira to the tune of Rs. 700 Crores.
- The Company is proud to inform that it is carrying out first ever full-scale repair work undertaken on a heritage structure more than 100 years old i.e. revamping of 9.0 MG Capacity Century Old Tallah Tank. The work involves strengthening of entire civil and structural members, addition of new bottom plates, internal food grade painting of compartment and replacement of roof. The work is being carried out compartment wise so that there is no disruption of water supply to the city and without additional load to the structure.
- The Company has expanded into the field of non-conventional energy and is carrying out a Solar Dome Project at Eco-Park in New Town, Kolkata which involves Design, Engineering and Execution of Solar PV Plant along with associated Civil, Structural, Electrical and Structural Glazing Work for West Bengal Housing Infrastructure Development Corporation Ltd. which is expected to be completed within June, 2020. It’s a complete spherical Dome Structure lined with solar panels of dia. 45 metre and height 26.5 metre.
- Rehabilitation and Strengthening of damaged divide walls and downstream floor of Durgapur Barrage over River Damodar is in progress.
- Construction of 31 Nos. Pre-Fabricated Concrete Bridges is being carried out at different locations over irrigation canals in the Districts of Bankura for West Bengal Irrigation Department.
- LED and Solar Lighting has been installed across the country which includes supply and maintenance.
- The Company is undertaking various Project Management Consultancy work on Turnkey Basis for various State Governments. These include :-
- of almost Rs. 1000 Crores for various Departments of Government of Odisha including RCC Bridges under PMGSY, Slum Development Work, Colleges, Training Centres, Hostels and Residential Schools.
- Steel Suspension Pedestrian Bridge over Laxman Ganga River at Govindghat for Government of Uttarakhand.
- Also on PMC Basis are Medical Colleges for Ministry of Health & Family Welfare at Bhavnagar, Indore and Jaipur; Construction of Administrative Building, Barracks, Residential Quarters, Mess and other Buildings for Border Security Force at various locations in India; and Planning, Design and Construction of 8 Nos. Colleges in North East India for Central Agricultural University.
- To ensure sustainable growth it is planned to expand the field of activities to SMART Cities, Water Distribution Network, Cross-country Pipeline, Flue Gas Desulphurization Unit in Power Sector and Non-conventional Power Plants.
- The Company’s growth curve is increasing in leaps and bounds and envisions to become an 8,000 Crores Company within the next five years.